Thursday, 21st January 2021
Member for Glass House Andrew Powell is excited to announce the fourth and final round of winners from his 2020 Local Heroes Grants.
Each year, up to four grants of $250 are available for individuals or groups in the electorate, four times a year.
“Except in last year’s final round, I went a little overboard and handed out $1,500 in grants … that’s six recipients!” said Mr Powell.
The grants are designed to help small community groups and local individuals get by. Sporting clubs, neighbourhood centres, RSL’s P&C’s, and Rural Fire Brigades are just some examples of who can apply.
In no particular order, the winners of round four in 2020 were:
- Bellthorpe Rural Fire Brigade – for purchase of a shade cover and camp chairs for crew members when on deployment.
- Peachester Branch QCWA – used the money to fund a Christmas market at the Peachester Hall.
- Maleny Chamber of Commerce – to assist in the organizational costs of the Maleny Christmas Concert.
- Glass House Mountains Riding School – spent their $250 on keeping their many horses and other animals fed.
- Maleny State School Chaplaincy – to fund their new program for grade six girls called ‘Shine’ – created to encourage self-worth and purpose.
- D’Aguilar Range District Scouts – helping with the cost of training to gain qualifications in horse trail riding so that instructors can teach this adventurous activity to youth members.
“Of course I will be running the Local Heroes Grants program again this year, and hopefully I’m able to, on occasion, give away more than four grants each round again.”
Applications for round one of 2021 are currently open and will remain open until Wednesday 24th February.
“Many groups are feeling a little strapped for cash in the new year after spending big on events and food over the Christmas season,”
“If you’re in need of some extra money to fund an event, keep the lights on or train someone new in your organisation, let me know! Apply for the next round of grants.”
“To apply for round one, head over to my website at http://andrewpowell.com.au” Mr Powell concluded.