Member for Glass House Andrew Powell is excited to announce the first -round winners of his 2019 ‘Local Heroes’ grants. Usually, four grants of $250 are available for individuals or groups in the electorate, four times a year. In this round however, five winners were chosen.
“I just couldn’t choose! This is why I always encourage as many people as possible to apply for my local heroes’ grants, because sometimes I can’t help but pick more than four.”
In no particular order, the winners are:
• Glasshouse Mountains RSL Sub Branch – the team at the RSL will use the funds to help advertise the free CPR training they are offering, and to provide refreshments to participants.
• Blackall Range Lions Club Branch – for many years the “Maleny Blackall Range Lions” have grown and grown and grown in number. As such the decision was recently made to “sponsor” a new club in the north of Blackall Range, based in Montville, Flaxton and Mapleton. The grant will help cover the set up costs for the new branch.
• Mainly Music Maleny – the grant will provide a shade cover for their playground so that the play equipment and area can be thoroughly enjoyed by “sun-safe” kids and caregivers.
• SCCSA U/16 Girls Representative Soccer Team – the girls are using the money to purchase training shirts and offset the costs of a team building day camp.
• Obi Art Prize – I’m pleased to be against supporting this art competition through contributing towards one of the prizes.
“As always, I have tried to spread the love throughout the entire electorate, but unfortunately we didn’t receive any nominations from Woodford, D’Aguilar, Delaneys Creek, Wamuran, Elimbah, Upper Caboolture, Mount Mee or Ocean View this time round.”
“These grants are all about supporting our local, grassroots community groups and amazing individuals. $250 sometimes makes all the difference and allows them to host an event, attend an elite sporting event or simply keep on doing what they do.”
“So don’t miss your opportunity – the next round doesn’t close until Monday the 27th May, so head over to my website at http://www.andrewpowell.com.au to apply,” Mr Powell concluded.
Ends 22 March