Andrew is committed to the Sunshine Coast and Moreton Bay regions because, let’s face it, it’s the best place in Queensland to live and work. And Andrew is determined, with your help, to keep it that way. It’s why he lives here, in Palmwoods, with his wife Taryn and their five children and why he’s worked hard over the past eight years as your member of parliament delivering for our amazing communities.
Andrew was born in Melbourne and spent his childhood moving between Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney until his family finally settled in Burpengary. He completed secondary school at Redcliffe and gained degrees in Science and Arts at the University of Queensland.
He kicked off his career with the Defence Department in Canberra and, after a short time working overseas, returned to Queensland where he worked for the Department of the Premier and Cabinet and the Department of Child Safety. An increasing frustration with how our taxes were being spent, how government policy was being developed and delivered, and a sense that the Glass House electorate was missing out drove him to have a go at politics.
Andrew has had some fantastic roles since including a term as Minister for Environment and his current duties as Shadow Minister for Transport and Main Roads and Shadow Minister for Local Government, but nothing beats being the Member for Glass House. Together with the community Andrew has delivered improvements such as:
- a new overtaking lane and safety improvements on the D’Aguilar Highway;
- new traffic lights at Reed Street and Steve Irwin Way, Glasshouse Mountains;
- a new concrete bridge over the Mary River at Conondale;
- increased financial support for local schools, sporting and community groups;
- the installation of flashing school zone safety lights at many local schools; and
- improved local frontline services including a new police station at Maleny, additional police on the beat in Woodford, Palmwoods and Maleny and reductions in dental and surgery waiting lists.
But the job’s not done and Andrew’s as keen as ever to keep on delivering for our communities in the great Glass House electorate.